Pinterest

Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Projects: XS750 Rewired and Reworked

Yesterday I was able to finally get a few hours for my bike and they turned out very productive. Troy, my father in law is a very capable mechanic and I really needed his experience for the wiring harness as I tore into the most difficult part this project. There were bad grounds, a major short circuit caused by the horn and many small shorts and melted wires. After a couple hours we had soldered in new wires, rebuilt the fuse box and reworked the harness.
The bike has had an idling issue and would backfire in higher rpm's due to the lean fuel mixture in the center cylinder. I pulled the carbs for the third time and found one small screw (part of the pilot jet) that had not been turned in 20 years. I pulled it out, used a lot of carb cleaner and compressed air to clear any blockage then reassembled it all.

Once the bike was back together and rewired it started electrically and with the kick and idled well. I couldn't help but ride it even though it had just gotten dark. With a big smile I spent 20 minutes ripping through the gears up and down the dirt road in front of Troy's shop. Now I can tell where to go from here: clutch adjustments, turn signal switch makeover, then on to the customization. I'll post my sketches and plans soon

No comments: