Pinterest

Monday, July 16, 2012

Finishing the Yamaha XS750 for the July Jamboree

Wednesday July 11th I had one day left to get the bike ready for safety inspection, registration and insurance then the show started friday. I was working late into the night after my swing shift and early into the morning until 3 pm when I had to go to work.
I tidied everything up and rolled it out of the shop just in time to get it into town for inspection. The last minute jobs were adding a horn I pulled off a 1970 kawasaki enduro that sounds a little shrill and tired at the same time but works for now, I also had to figure out how to get the mirrors to hold still but a few washers and some nipex pliers helped me get going.
After a hectic day of running around, we were ready for the first official(legal) test ride and the car show.
Until now I had only ridden the bike for a few minutes to make sure the engine was working after we had it apart(I never had good enough tires to go more than 20 mph). I took the bike west of town on a highway that was a 65 mph speed limit and there was a lot of wind but it felt so good to get it up to speed. Its intense to take a 35 year old bike back on the road not knowing for sure how it will react. After the first couple of miles I settled in and started to really enjoy the ride. I was so happy to have it finally going I screamed and yelled as I leaned into those high speed curves through the hills. It felt so good to ride a well performing bike that I put so much of myself into. Once I came back from the ride the bike was idling at 4000 rpm since I had only ever adjusted the idle with the engine cold. After some quick fine tuning I rode straight to the July Jamboree held on Main Street of Cedar City Utah AKA, Festival City USA, supposedly there is some festival going on more weeks than not all year.

this is us at the show



Old Main offered lots of cool photo ops but there were too many people I wanted to talk to so I didn't take many photos.
Here are a few photos from the car show, some of us and some of my favorite rides that were there. I will be taking a high res photo shoot on Monday which I hope to post soon. I originally wanted to document the build better but my time was so limited that I often worked without ever touching my camera or computer. I'll do better on the next jobs.
Really like the wood detail on this 40's chevy

This Oldsmobile F Eighty-Five is one I would drive hard everyday, I love it

I got lost in this paint, my photos dont do it justice.

This Belaire is destined for a mag shoot tomorrow and SEMA in a few days.

I really love these old 30's ford rat rods, Im going to have to pull the old International out of the weeds at the shop

No comments: