Pinterest

Sunday, July 15, 2012

how the XS750 came together

Once the engine was done, I dismantled the entire bike and prepped it for finishes and paint. I'm not the biggest fan of chrome so I took every little piece of chrome on the bike and brushed it to the raw steel finish I liked. It was a lot more work than I bargained for but I was very happy with the results. I used a variety of different products to keep the raw steel from flash rusting and automotive clear coat to cap it all off. This was so much work.
this heavy and low hung fender was going to be in the way so I made my own rear sub-frame, light mounts and fender

the mock up before I cut into the frame
sanded tank and fenders, brushing and finish was very hard to keep the same grain throughout.

I learned some great masking tricks when working on this. I wanted to leave it all raw until I walked out of the shop and blinded myself with its reflection.

Self Etching Primer was key

sneak peak of the retro paint

2000 degree paint for the exhaust and engine parts, this is just the primer here

I didn't like the 3 foot long megaphone mufflers so I made my own that matched the style of the bike, the two new ones weigh one third of the originals


by the time my checklist was this small I had one week until the Cedar City Utah July Jamboree Car show, I couldn't wait!

No comments: